Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Freckles Laid an Egg!

We have one hen named Freckles based on a suggestion from Sue (Thanks, Sue).  Well, Freckles laid her first egg last night!  What a shock! It's a medium sized, light brown egg.



We bought Freckles along with 8 chicks back in October.  I didn't expect her to lay an egg yet because she still is mothering her chicks, but she surprised me!  I like the name Freckles because she has these dark spots on her shoulders.






We don't expect any of our other chickens to lay any eggs until the April/May timeframe next year because they were all born in October. But maybe Freckles will bless us with her eggs all winter long!
Thank you, Freckles!!

7 comments:

DayPhoto said...

Oh, good for you! I love going out and gathering the eggs. Now you get to do so.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Robin said...

How exciting! I was practically jumping up and down when I got my first egg.

Leigh said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise. And just think, it's the first of many more to come.

Danni said...

Hey! Freckles laid a freckled egg!! Freckles is a lovely hen - congrats on her first egg. :-)

jalynn01 said...

I always look at your blog but do not always have time to comment.. We had chickens at home when I was growing up. Nothing like going into the chicken coop and gathering your own eggs. I like chickens and yours are so pretty..especially leggy who is definitely a 'pet' rooster. I also loved the foggy morning with a whitetail deer jumping across the path. Have a great holiday season!!

AJ-OAKS said...

Freckles is sooo pretty. And she gifted you an egg! Isn't it exciting? The first egg my girls gifted me I was so excited. I showed everyone! Okay, they weren't nearly as excited as I was, but hey, I thought it was something pretty neat. I love collecting the eggs everyday. And I thank my girls each time.

Randy said...

Linda - Yes, now I get to gather the eggs! Ok, it's only one egg at a time, but still, I'm happy!

Robin - I was also practically jumping up and down when Randy found the first egg. I just didn't expect it at all, I was so surprised.

Leigh - Freckles already gave us a second egg, too! And hopefully many more!

Danni - Thank you!!

Jalynn - I know what you mean, I read so many blogs, often I just don't have time to comment, either. Happy Holidays to you, too!

AJ-Oaks - I found myself mentioning to everyone that my one and only hen laid an egg. Finally people started saying "I know already!!", and then I realized maybe I'm just talking too much about my new gift!