Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chicken update

I've been so busy lately, I just haven't had time to spend with the blog.  This morning I took some pics of the chickens.  They are getting so big.  Here's one of the birds we call the yellow chickens - they used to be yellow, now they are turning more of a white with brown spots.  It's interesting to see how they all change as they grow.



Li'l Puff has changed drastically since I last posted about him.  He's doubled in size, has gotten a comb and wattles.  We now think he's a Houdan mix.  He's got a strange V-comb, puffy head feathers, bare legs.  He's become a cockerel, not just a cute little chick anymore.  And he loves to fight with all the other cockerels, even though he loses the fights.  He's got spunk!  We have to keep him separated from the flock because he fights too much, and gets his butt kicked too much...



Li'l Puff fighting!



Serious fighting going on...  We need to get rid of some of our roosters- we got chickens for the eggs, but somehow, the Amish farmer sold us all roosters...



Here's my man Leggy, the White Leghorn.  Leggy rules the flock, he's bigger than all the other birds. So far he seems to be a good rooster.  And he still loves to cuddle with me.  I remember when he was just a baby chick...  Now he's starting making rooster sounds, he even made a rough-sounding crow a few times when we were near him.



Here's one of the Guineas.  We have 4 of them.  They are so ugly, and not too friendly, although Randy got one of them to settle down in his arms this morning.  They make strange noises, too.  The other chickens try to imitate their sounds.



Here's the Momma Hen, Freckles.  She's given us 3 eggs so far.  Not a great track record, but maybe she'll get more consistant soon.  Li'l Puff is in the picture here, too.



Egg #3 - 1.7 oz was laid on 17Dec 2009


7 comments:

AJ-OAKS said...

Oh my. Lil Puff has grown. You have all roosters you got from the Amish farmer! What in the heck are you going to do with all those roosters? I have two roosters and so far no real fighting. Stew Pot chases little Bobaloo ( white silky bantam) and thankfully Bobaloo knows when to get the heck away! I have always been curious how the Amish people are. Friendly? Business like? Do they treat their animals well? Honest? I look forward to your posts. Hope you can find time to post more often.

Sue said...

Yikes-all roosters? I think you're going to have to stock the freezer pretty soon. The fights will get much much worse as time goes on....

Randy said...

AJ-OAKS ~ We're going to have to sell some of our roosters. We originally got 26 chicks. Randy & I looked closely at them last night, we believe we have 6 or 7 pullets & the rest are cockerels. But we really aren't sure - it's hard to tell them apart. Is it just a dominant hen, or a late developing rooster? When we see them fight we know, but they all don't fight. To answer your Q's about the Amish- each person is different, just like with other people. I've seen some Amish who are real business people, and then I've visited some who were totally not business-like. Most that I've met are friendly, some are shy if you go to their house unannounced (which I have done!!). I don't think they treat their animals as well I as do, but I spoil my animals...

Sue - We may have 6 or 7 pullets (out of 25 original chicks). But I don't know if I can eat my own "babies" - I've gotten attached, like the fool that I am! I knew that would happen if I hand fed them! But I can sell them - we've sold 2 young roosters already, and will sell more soon.

DayPhoto said...

I can't eat my animals either. So I gave away the roosters. I put an ad in the paper and bam they were all gone. I didn't ask any questions, but the ones I know of went to people who wanted a rooster for thier flock.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Robin said...

Thats a lot of boys. I was disappointed that we didn't get at least one rooster when we got our chicks. We spent the longest time staring at them trying to figure out whether they were hens or roosters. Guess thats why it took us so long to figure it out. lol

Randy said...

Linda - Yeah, I sold a few of our roosters and didn't ask any questions.

Robin - I'm disappointed we didn't get more hens! The next birds we're buying thru a catalog or from someone other than the Amish. If we buy more birds!

-Lynn

Abigail said...

what kind of chicken is the first one