Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Chicken Update Day 48

The chickens had a week of antibiotics in their water, and they all have gotten better.  Previously they had a bad case of an upper respiratory infection, which made us rush to find a cure.  The antibiotics worked wonders, thank goodness!

Here's Leggy, the white leghorn cockerel (with a guinea hen in the front).  I know, I'm not too imaginative when it comes to names.  I didn't want to name my chickens, I didn't want to get too attached.  We aren't going to keep all the roosters, and we seem to have quite a few.  But nicknames got started, and the names have stuck.  Leggy has become my baby.  I think he is beautiful.  I have been trying to make sure he doesn't grow up to be mean, because I don't want to have to ever get rid of him!



Here's Leggy in my lap with a few of the hens.



And here is Leggy sleeping in my arms.  He is the most hyper young chicken, but all it takes is a few neck rubs when he's in my arms, and he goes right to sleep!  Most of our chickens can be put to sleep like this!



We have 5 chickens that look like this - dark with a white face.  We were told they were Bantams, we call them "hawks".


5 comments:

Robin said...

Oh my goodness! Leggy is SO cute. It looks like all of your chicks are quite friendly as they all seem to be chilling on you. I'm glad that they seem to be better!

Danni said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad your chickens are showing signs of improvement! You look like a chicken whisperer with Leggy (love the name) and your hens snoozing on your lap!
I don't think I've ever seen a comb so big on a rooster so small - he's gorgeous!

DayPhoto said...

I'm glad you posted about your chickens, I had been wondering how they were doing.

They all look good, the combs are red and perky.

Love your Rooster! I hope he stays gentle forever.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Country Girl said...

Leggy's comb is huge!Wow! Sounds like those chickens keep you going!! Glad they are feeling better!

Randy said...

Robin - Yes, all the chickens are quite friendly! That's how I wanted and planned it, only now they seem to be "too friendly" - they all want to sit in my lap whenever I go into the coop! Although so far I don't mind!

Danni - my husband called me a "chicken whisperer", also, but then I caught him sitting in the coop with many of the chickens on his lap and a few of them asleep, so I'm not the only one in this household!

Linda - I so hope Leggy stays gentle forever. It would really upset me if he ever attacked me - I've heard stories about roosters attacking people.

Barb - Yes, Leggy does have a big comb. I thought that was just a white leghorn trait, but I don't know. We'll see if it stops growing - right now it seems to get bigger every day! He carries his head high and proud.