Sunday, November 15, 2009

Another Tree Across the Road

The other night I was driving home from work late at night.  It was dark, cold, and pouring rain.  It had been a long, hard day at work, and all I wanted to do was get to my peaceful, quiet home, eat a good dinner, and get some sleep before going off to work & starting again early the next day.  And then I saw it - the largest tree ever fell and was laying across our dirt road, blocking the only way home.  It was so discouraging to see that tree.  Why do trees only fall across roads at the worst possible time?  There was no way to drive around the massive tree.  It was a huge, old, dead tree.  The recent rain brought it down and made a muddy mess of the road around the fallen tree.

I couldn't get a picture of it as I didn't have my camera with me, and it was so dark and raining it would have been tough.  I called my husband, who luckily was home, and he drove out from home to "his side" of the tree and surveyed the situation from there.  It was no problem for him.  He climbed over the tree and brought me a change of clothes from home so I didn't destroy my work clothes, I changed in the car, then we both climbed back over the tree and he drove me the rest of the way home.  While I made dinner, he and the neighbor made short work of getting that monster tree out of the road.  They cut it up with chainsaws and pushed it out of the way with the tractor.  It was amazing how fast it was done.  What was I fretting about?  No problem for 2 men, a chainsaw and a tractor.

I took these pictures the next day when the rain finally let up.











 

6 comments:

Sue said...

We may mutter things about men under our breath at times, but they are amazing when it comes time to clean up the "messes".
Glad you got home in one piece.
Have a great week!

Robin said...

Wow, that was a big one. Funny how trees falling across the road always seem to happen to you. :)

Susan Blake said...

We have this happen after storms at our lake house - not always as huge of a tree, but stuff in the roads. I'm glad your knight came to the rescue! It's all part of the rural landscape. I know some gals who have chain saws in their cars/trucks up there.

DayPhoto said...

MY GOODNESS! That was a HUGE OLD Tree! I'm just glad you weren't in the way when it fell.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Country Girl said...

Wow! What a tree! I wonder how old it was!! Glad you're OK. Bet you appreciated your nice dry house when you finally made it there! -Barb

Randy said...

Sue- Yes, men are good at taking care of problems around the farm, especially my husband! He always seems to knowhow to fix the problem.

suZen - It's so nice to be able to call my knight to my rescue! I'm lucky he was there!

Robin - You're right, this certainly isn't the first time this has happened! One night, at our previous house, this happened when I was coming home from work. It was dusk, and muddy from a hard rain. I pack up my work stuff & started tromping down the dirt road in my work clothes towards the house, and a bat started swooping by my head, flying back & forth! I'm not afarid of bats, but this one actually hit me in the head! I dropped to the ground on instinct, dropped all the jumk I was carrying, got myself & the stuff all muddy...it was so funny afterwards, although I wasn't laughing at the time!

Linda - it would have been awful to have that fall on me or the car!!

Barb - I was wondering how old that tree was, too - at least a hundred years old, I think. Pretty neat to imagine the people riding past that tree on horseback!