Friday, June 19, 2009

Squash Flowers

Several people told me how squash flowers are supposed to be a gormet delicacy, so I figured I'd give them a try since we have a so many flowers on our squash plants... Here's the story...


It's been raining alot here in Maryland - after the prerequisite afternoon downpour my husband & I noticed that many squash flowers had just fallen off the plants. So we picked up all the flowers that fell off, tossed the ones that were in bad condition, & brought the rest inside.



I researched squash flowers, learning that there's male & female flowers & only the females produce fruit. Makes sense. A quick check of the garden Remove Formatting from selectionrevealedRemove Formatting from selection that we mostly have male flowers. Hmmm...

I cut out the insides of the flowers, cleaned them real well, and laid them out to dry.


I found a simple recipe at this page:

http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0805b.htm

I made the battered squash blossoms, which is the first recipe listed. Cook them fast in a very hot skillet. We learned that we liked them without too much batter (they're better crispy), and they are best served piping hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating!I didn't know that you could eat them. When my squash gets bigger I might just have to try this.

Randy said...

It is interesting - squash have male & female flowers. Don't pick the female flowers before the squash grow! But I believe you can pick some of the male flowers. Or you can just do what we did & remove the flowers that fall off after a rain. The website I provided with the recipe shows the difference between the types of flowers.